A Blog of Writing, Reading, and Light Criticism.

Caution: No Napoleonic Content
.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Big Books I Have Read: (Update!)

We're continuing on with LOTR aloud.  It is still great.  I have had reports from folks who found similar experiences to be less than stellar, but I think we've hit the lucky jackpot.  Still, there are variations.  Orcs are more exciting than Entwives, but we have stayed on.

The boys and their mother took a long car ride to a family reunion.  What should have been seven hours plus seven hours turned into twelve out and eight back.  Fortunately, they were listening to the unabridged Rob Inglis LOTR on CD, and (believe it, parents in the room!) THIS MADE THE CAR RIDE BEARABLE.  Twenty hours is enough to get you from Rivendell to Fangorn Forest (meaning all the way through Moria and Lothlorien and beyond), if you want to know.

This also means I missed reading those portions, which makes me wistful.  Rob Inglis does a good job, however.  I am sorry not to have done the death of Boromir myself, although I probably would have choked up, because, you know, that part will always and forever now retroactively be Sean Bean getting totally *Thunked*.

No comments:

Post a Comment