A Blog of Writing, Reading, and Light Criticism.

Caution: No Napoleonic Content
.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Big Books I Have Read: The Lord of the Hobbitarillion, Part I

This has been a Tolkien Summer at my house.

My boys (six and eight years old) are finally old enough to appreciate good fantasy, or so I believe, so we started the long vacation with a family reading of The Hobbit out loud.  They loved it, I loved it, and now we're well into The Fellowship of the Ring.  This series of blog posts is to offer a few thoughts on Tolkien and on fantasy and perhaps on reading out loud.

But first, the very important issue:  do you believe it's permissible to criticize good old Professor T.?  This isn't a rhetorical question.  There are people who would be genuinely offended at any complaints about the books of Middle-earth, as (or even more so than) if one had criticized the Bible or Joss Whedon.  I know; I have at times been one of them.

But not so now.  I plan to offer some thoughts and make some digs at dear old JRRT where I believe they are deserved.  I hope you understand that I'm doing so only out of love, the kind of love that could lead someone to commit to reading almost 1,500 pages aloud without skipping a word.

Or skipping no more than Tom Bombadil, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment